Tutorial Tuesday: How to Bind a Knit Neckline

Do you ever feel like switching it up, just to make your favorite pattern a little different?  Then today's Tutorial Tuesday is for you.  Today I am showing you how to make a bound neckline for the Opal Knit Flutter, Zee's Tee or any other knit neckband.


I'm using the Opal Knit Flutter for my example today.  Begin by cutting and constructing the garment per instructions up to the point of adding the neckband.  I constructed my Opal a little out of order, so you'll see that it is entirely done with the exception of the neckband.


Follow these simple steps to make bound neckline:

  • Sew the center back seam of the neckband to form a loop and mark quarter points on the both the garment and neck binding, as directed in the pattern.
  • Pin the binding right sides together with the garment neckline matching quarter points.

  • Sew using a 3/8" seam allowance, gently stretching the neck binding to fit the neck hole edge. Take care not to stretch the neck hole. I sewed this seam with a twin needle for maximum stretch-ability.  You can also use a zigzag or stretch stitch.


  • Flip the binding up over the seam allowance.  Wrap it over the edge and to the inside of the garment.




    • Pin at several pints.
    • Topstitch from the right side. I used a twin needle for topstitching too. A twin needle is my preferred top stitching method for knit (I don't own a coverstitch), but any stretching stitch will work. You just need to ensure that the neckband can stretch over the head without popping stitches.

    • If necessary, trim any excess neck binding on the inside close to the stitching.
    • Give it a good shot of steam and you are done!

    I like how sturdy this neck binding feels and I just like to switch up sewing techniques from time to time.  Try it out and let us know what you think!  Don't forget to make a matching headband using Jen's free headband tutorial.



    Here's a couple other knit sewing tutorial you might also enjoy:

    Comments