A Year of Dresses: The Pixie Belle Pirate with bonus vest tutorial


As promised I have another wonderful everyday costume for you today.  I am in love with the possibilities for this one.  Today's costume uses two patterns, plus I have a quick and easy bonus tutorial for you.  The show stealer today is the Pixie Belle Skirt.  I've paired with it is the Peasant Top, such a great staple pattern.  To finish off this costume I'll show you how to make a quick and easy corset style pirate vest.



The Pixie Belle Skirt is super quick and easy but so cute and unique! It is designed for sizes 2-8.  Like the Fariytale dress pattern, Pixie Belle's skirt to made from two offset squares.  The skirt is gathered to a simple elastic waistband.  I love the look of a handkerchief hem! In the name of speed I hemmed my pixie squares with a rolled hem on my serger instead of a folded narrow hem.  I trimmed off about 1/4" while serging to keep the finished length the same.


Paired with the Pixie Belle today is the Peasant Top.  This simple blouse is great on so many levels!  The peasant top is available for both babies 0-24 months and girls 2-10. The pattern includes both long and short sleeves and multiple finishing options. I love how quickly to goes together.  It is cute in a variety of fabrics as an everyday top paired with jeans or Sterling Leggings.  But, it is also a great layering piece.  This one is made in plain white cotton.  It is the same top that I paired under my Fairytale dress last winter and that Sweet Pea wore with her stripwork Miss Muffet Skirt also.  I added 3" of length to the top and omitted the ruffle to reduce bulk, knowing that this was a layering piece for me. This time I chose to finish the neckline with a narrow  hem and shirring; for the sleeves I used a simple folded casing.


Now for the vest.  This vest pounded home the Pirate look for me.  I used an imitation leather look knit fabric.  It's kind of plastic-y on the right side.  I probably wouldn't want to wear it often, but it's perfect for this.  It doesn't fray so the only sewing necessary are shoulder and side seams.  With a few simple steps you can create this vest in a jiffy!




The beauty of no hemming is that the length is easily customizable after the fact.  I decided that the vest was a wee bit long once on so I trimmed a bit off. Easy!



This is another costume that works great for Halloween, but can also easily transfer to everyday!  Sweet Pea loves it and has requested to wear it several times already. Take off the vest, perhaps add tights, or a cute sweater and you have a perfect everyday skirt that doesn't scream pirate!



Speaking of multiple opportunities to wear this one.... Have you heard of Krispy Kreme's Pirate Day?  Once a year (at participating locations) you can get a free dozen glazed doughnuts if you come in dressed as a pirate.  How fun is that?!  So plan a fun outing with the kids and get some doughnuts! All the details can be found at Krispy Kreme's website.

"Sweet Pea, say 'ARGH, I'm a pirate!'"
And finally, your quick pattern rundown:


  • Baby sizes 0-24 months
  • Girls sizes 2-10
  • beginner sewing level
  • long or short sleeves
  • multiple options for finishing neck and sleeves

Labels: , , , , ,