A Year of Dresses: The Coral Dress and Top


It has been an exciting week at Tie Dye Diva! The Coral Dress and Top, the first pattern of the Diva Collection, is now available. The Diva Collection is designed to be a little more full, a little more flair, a little more fun!  Perfect for every girl in your life that likes more modern styling with some extra frills. Let me tell you, you do not want to miss this pattern!  Oh, and wait, there's more....  It is ON SALE through this evening (7/11), AND can be combined with the fabulous new tiered discounts!



Of course, everything that you know and love about Tie Dye Diva is still there!  The instructions are fabulous, detailed, and clear.  Pictures help you along each step of construction.  Sizing is spot on.  Jen takes extreme care to make sure that all her patterns fit just right and never stops until they do.  Vigorous testing makes sure fit and construction works for everyone.  A  huge thanks to all the FABULOUS testers on this pattern!



The Coral Dress and Top also includes extended sizing.  TEN sizes are included covering all the way from 6 months up girls 10!  The pattern is loaded with options.  Choose from cap or flutter sleeves, or choose straps that tie in a cute bow.  Make a dress or top, both lengths are included.  There is also an optional apron that is the perfect place for fun embellishments.  Think lace, buttons, applique....  Here's Sweet Pea's top length Coral with cap sleeves and apron paired with Pretty Pantaloons.




If you've never shirred before, have no worries!  There is a full shirring tutorial included.  If you can sew (mostly) straight lines, then you can shirr!  The shirring on this dress is done after constructing the tiers.  There are a couple options when it come to the shirring and it is entirely personal preference, but I'll show you how I like to do it.  When I shirr I like as few ends as possible that need secured, but I also want to know that if my thread breaks I won't need to fix more than one round of shirring.  So here's my solution.


This is one side seam on my dress.  If you look closely you'll see that there are several small stitches through the seam allowance.  I set my stitch length to 1.0 and take about 5 stitches.  This is my favorite way to secure shirring and I have never had it pull out.  Also, and what I'm not sure you can see here, is I do not break my thread each round.  Instead I take a few stitches down the seam to the next row.  If you are familiar with quilting at all, this can also be called 'stitching in the ditch'.  Using this method I can shirr the entire bodice with only two thread tails and still have my stitches secured each round.

I want to show you shirring from the inside too.  The elastic thread used in your bobbin sits right on the surface in side the garment.  It is soft and stretchy!


I have finished both the top and hem of this dress with a rolled hem.  I personally love the rolled hem on top and it makes a super quick and easy hem also.  But, if you don't have a serger, no worries!  Jen's patterns never require a serger.  There are also instructions for making a narrow folded hem.

Sweet Pea's Coral dress is a size 2.  She is at the bottom of the height range for a 2 and I knew that with a shirred bodice the chest would fit without any problems too even though she is still at the bottom of a 18-24 month size range by her chest measurement. 

Don't forget a Coral for Dolly too!

Coral dress falls below the knee and has a great twirl factor.  I'm hoping that the longer length and tie shoulder mean this dress still fits next spring. That might be wishful thinking....good thing Mama can make another one.


I adore the fullness of this skirt.  Sweet Pea is still new to twirling, but she sure tried!



I seriously can't get enough of this sweet dress; it will be worn everywhere.  Play, parties, church, you name it.  Just because I love it so much, here's a few more pictures for you.





As always, here's you quick pattern rundown.