Sunday, November 27, 2011

Mending Day - Bye Bye UFOs!

My "mending basket" is so full of UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that I have to sort them by type - clothing, pattern samples, household items, gifts... Last year as the holidays approached and it became clear all my enthusiastic holiday sewing was not going to come to completion, I created a sub-bag of "Christmas UFOs". With so much time ahead of me, I'd finish them up by June and move on to other things, right?

Right?

Sigh.

But I actually tackled all three things in that bag today and am feeling great. First I finished the Leopard Santa envelope pillow that has a pieced back because I didn't want to waste any of that darn cute HoHoHo Santa fabric from Hobby Lobby, it's one of my favorites. (And back in stock last I checked).


These are mostly made with my easy Envelope Pillow pattern. The adorable peppermint candy pillow is a Jo-Ann craft tutorial.

Then I ripped and re-sewed the upside-down clips on my holiday card holder. Here they are ready for holiday cards to arrive, looking really pathetic actually!


Soon they will look like this pic I took last year, and this year I have six instead of five so maybe we won't need to double two cards up on one clip this year.


The card holder was a Martha Stewart magazine craft from 11 or 12 years ago that I modified. Basically it's just lengths of ribbon with gold binder clips sewn to them at 7" and 11" intervals (to accommodate vertical and horizontal cards).

Finally, there's little Rudolph the No-Eyed Reindeer. I searched and searched for some kind of circle punch or die for my Big Shot that would cut felt into small enough perfect circles for the eyes and didn't find one so I broke down and cut them by hand.


He's from my Fleece Christmas Ornaments pattern. (Didja notice my pretty pincushion that I won a few months ago? Of course you did.)

How much time did all this take me? About an hour and a half. What took me so long? Might have to open up that Easter UFO bag next.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

well done on getting all those bits done my UFOs are getting a bit out of control too, the worst are half done clothes for kids that probably wont fit any of them now! I did finnish a sweater for my 3rd baby which i had started for my first 8 years before!