Are you Expanding Your Crafty Horizon?

I love learning something new! I remember when I first learned to shirr fabric I was so excited, my daughter had an entire wardrobe of stretchy tops and dresses. It was so easy and I wondered why I hadn't tried it sooner. Same with knit fabric, same with zippers. When I design a new sewing pattern I am sometimes hesitant to introduce anything that might seem scary to a beginning sewer. But I have had such wonderful feedback on the Peas in a Pod Sewing Pattern from people who never sewed a zipper before, now I am proud and happy to help new sewers expand their crafty horizon!



My newest pattern, the Sweet Summer Halter Dress (a Monkey Doodle for Tie Dye Diva pattern), features darling and unique curved straps that form a contrast trim for the bodice. This means sewing a convex curve (the strap) to a concave curve (the armhole), very much like a princess seam.



With my tips and tricks even a beginning sewer will be able to complete this pretty seam with professional results. And learn something new to carry on to future projects. Check out the Sweet Summer Halter Dress in my etsy shop!


Birdsong Bows Funky Loopy Bow

So what else can I try that is new? How about something non-sewing (gasp!)? I have never made a bow, and I am so inspired by this post by on The Cottage Home blog - she tried bow making for the very first time using a Birdsong Bows PDF pattern and it came out amazing! I am not surprised because Deanna at Birdsong writes a great pattern book; I have one in my stash that I have not yet made, sounds like it is time to gather up my ribbons and try something new! The Cottage Home blog includes a Birdsong Bows PDF pattern giveaway too - so don't miss your chance to win, you can learn something new too!

What are you going to try that is new?