Monday, June 16, 2008

Up with (Little) People

As my kids get older, I find myself relishing the things I know they will soon outgrow: coloring books, stripey pajamas, letting me hold their little hands in the parking lot. Yesterday as part of our welcoming summer ritual, we got down all of my vintage Fisher Price Little People collection for summer play. I was curious: would they still enjoy it? Or have the Little People gone the way of naptime and sippy cups? We got the boxes down, and an hour later I peeked in, where the Little People drama was in full swing.



That blur of motion is a guy being whisked to the Little People Hospital ... where the doctors seem to be enjoying a break.

Next door in the Tudor House, the Flight Attendants and Construction Worker League, having deposited their luggage upstairs, enjoys a meal of flat hot dogs, beans, and red punch. In the family room, the short flight attendant is questioned by twin officers, one of whom is confined to a stroller.



Why does it feel good when my kids play with these? I am not sure I can put my finger on it, but the creativity of play, the open-endedness, the lack of noisemakers, batteries and flashing lights, have a lot to do with it, along with the admittedly sentimental memories of playing with my own Fisher Price Little People when I was a kid. (I loved to spin the little merry go round that came with the School set so hard the kids flew off, especially the Mean Guy.)

Someday, this blog will be about tie dye again.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I love my vintage little people! They live at my dad's house, in their A frame house and adjoining barn :o)